A real update is overdue (and forthcoming), but today is the second time in three days that I've woken up with a lingering migraine and nausea, so I am afraid my poor abused brain is really not in a very compositional space right now. ~sigh~ This aching-head-and-nausea business is getting a bit old. I hope it doesn't last for much longer. I haven't had this many headaches since I was a teenager and filled with crazy, raging hormones.
Anyway. In the meantime, I picked up this house meme from dear pokeystar, and it was fun, so here we go!
1. What kind of soap is in your bathtub right now?
Um... "Vanilla-tini" and "Strawberry Sparkler" for me. "Noir" is his.
2. Do you have any watermelon in your refrigerator?
Weirdly, yes. Somebody gave us a gigantic watermelon, and we're working on it, but I think I'm going to have to turn the rest into sorbet. Who can eat that much watermelon?
3. Is there anything mouldy in your refrigerator?
Not that I know of. At least, not anything that isn't supposed to have some sort of culture...
4. What would you change about your living room?
Well, that's one of the rooms that I'm about to redo, so... a lot! Specifically, the icky carpet needs to be pulled out and the wood floor beneath refinished (I already have a new area rug), the walls will be repainted in a different color scheme, new art on the walls, and some new pillows/accessories to augment what's there.
5. Are the dishes in your dishwasher clean or dirty?
I don't have a dishwasher! So my dishes are pretty much always clean.
6. Do you have a can of mushrooms in your pantry?
No. That's kind of a weirdly specific question.
7. White or wheat/brown bread?
Sesame semolina bread, torta buns, and whole-grain bread with millet.
8. What is on top of your refrigerator?
An aloe vera plant, plant food, paper plates, plastic cutlery, a basket in the shape of Michigan (filled with fruit and nut bars), and a gigantic box of Pop-Tarts.
9. What colour is your sofa?
The leather one is a very dark black/brown, and the fabric one is sort of a sage green, with shimmery dots.
10. What colour or design is on your shower curtain?
Shiny silver, with sequins on it.
11. How many plants are in your home?
Only one, which is an aloe vera plant that the cats have no interest in eating. Otherwise, all my plants are of the outdoors variety, because the cats are too tempted to snack on anything indoors.
12. How many candles are in your home?
Oh, a lot. Considering that there are eight in my bedroom alone and fifteen in the family room... yeah, there are a lot of candles. I really like candles.
13. Is your bed made right now?
...No. But cats are sleeping in it, and I couldn't disturb them!
14. If you have a coffee pot, what colour is it?
The coffeemaker is black. The pot is glass, with a black handle.
15. Electric or standard can opener?
Standard. I've never had an electric one.
16. Comet or Soft Scrub?
17. Is your closet organized?
For the most part, but it is crammed to the gills. It's time to go through it again and put together a donation bag of things that are in good shape but don't get worn enough.
18. What colour is the flashlight that you use the most?
19. What kinds of things are in your junk drawer?
Chip clips, birthday candles, twist ties, a billion different takeout menus, tape measure, light bulbs, address book, business cards...
20. Do you drink out of glass or plastic most of the time at home?
Plastic for every day, glass for the nice occasions.
21. Do you have iced tea made in a pitcher right now?
No. I have pink lemonade, though.
22. If you have a garage, is it cluttered?
It... sort of is, but it's much better now, particularly since the dejunking and selling of stuff at my aunt's garage sale last weekend.
23. Curtains or blinds?
Blinds everywhere, except the bathrooms and the living room. I don't do drapes--too heavy, too prone to collecting dust, too formal. I like a lot of light in a room, and not much of anything getting in the way of that. I have a few valances, just for visual interest and to make things less stark, but have no need for more than that.
24. How many pillows do you sleep with?
...Five. ~shifty eyes~
25. Do you sleep with any lights on at night?
Yes. I can't stand full darkness; it totally creeps me out. I have this skull night light to help.
26. How many ceiling fans are in your home?
27. How often do you hoover?
Once a week... ish.
28. What colour is your toothbrush?
The electric one is purple, and the other is hot pink.
29. Do you have a welcome mat on your front porch?
30. What is in your oven right now?
Bakerella's Chocolate Chunk Muffins. (All keladry_lupin's fault! Thanks, Kel. &hearts)
31. Is your microwave clean or dirty?
Not as clean as it should be, probably, but it's not especially dirty, either.
32. Is there anything under your bed?
Just the occasional cat. And some assorted cold-weather shoes that don't see a lot of wear.
33. Chore you hate doing the most?
34. What retro items are in your home?
Aside from my clothes and accessories? Picture frames, some chairs and tables that I've inherited from various relatives, from various periods. I do have some vintage salt and pepper shakers, and a lot of other things from my grandmother that fall firmly into the retro-kitsch category. My favorite is a picture of a peacock that she had up for years and years, all covered over with metal and "jewels." And then there's my basement, which... is pretty much entirely retro-kitsch and swinging sixties, yeah, including the turquoise wet bar in the corner, and the vintage lounge and bar signs. Oh, and the giant martini glass; I don't even know where that came from.
35. Do you have a separate room that you use as an office?
Yes, although truthfully, it all creeps into my bedroom. And sometimes the kitchen and family room.
36. If you have a yard, who mows it?
Me, Geography Teacher, and sometimes my brother. Not all at once. Alternately, you know.
37. Is there anything on your kitchen floor right now?
Two laundry baskets (nested in each other), a big bag of cat food, and a chef's mat in the cooking area.
38. How many mirrors are in your home?
14, not counting hand or vanity mirrors. ~hides~ That makes me sound horribly vain, but I swear that part of it is because I have mirrored closet doors!
Yeah, that doesn't really sound less vain, does it?
39. Do you have any hidden emergency money around your home?
40. What colour are your walls?
Which room? I have lots of different colors! The kitchen is yellow, the half-bath is blue, the guest bedroom is purple, the family room is green. My bedroom is currently kind of a taupe-y beige (...I know, I know. It's not very me. What can I say? I was going through my sensible phase then), but I'm about to repaint it to a very pale, glow-y sort of pink called "Candy Mix."
41. Which rooms in your house have wallpaper?
None of them have full-on wallpaper. The kitchen and master bedroom have a little border as an accent only, but the bedroom one is going to bite the dust soon, when I repaint.
42. Do you have a peephole in your front door?
Yes. Though I don't think it's all that helpful, given that the front door is right next to a giant picture window...
43. Do you keep any kind of protection weapons in your home?
No. I don't think a Leatherman tool that I barely know how to use really counts.
44. What does your home smell like right now?
The Sticky Toffee Pudding-scented candle I've been burning. And the muffins in the oven. Mmmmmm.
45. Favourite candle scent?
Mmmm, everything except for really dusty florals or anything aquatic or grassy. Vanilla, sandalwood, anything food-related, coffee, fruits--all good.
46. What kind of pickles (if any) are in your refrigerator right now?
Garlicky sour dills (my favorite), Wickles half-sour pickles (also good), sweet hots (ew, but Geography Teacher likes them).
47. Who are in the pictures you displayed?
Family, friends, pets. Random people I photographed in Paris.
48. What cE43. Do you keep any kind of protection weapons in your home?
No. I don't think a Leatherman tool that I barely know how to use really counts.
4olour is your favourite bible?
I don't even understand what this question is asking. That seems like a very strange way to judge the merits of a bible?
49. Do you have plenty of cabinet space in your kitchen?
I do, which is one of the things I really love about this kitchen. But that's not to say that I haven't filled it all. *g*
50. Ever been on your roof?
51. Do you own a stereo?
52. How many TVs do you have?
53. How many house phones?
One landline with a bunch of handsets, though I'm on the verge of getting rid of it. And one cell phone.
54. Do you have a housekeeper?
No. To be honest, it's not a concept that appeals to me much, as boring as I find cleaning. It would just never occur to me to pay somebody else to do it, at least right now, but I suppose that might change depending on where I am in life someday.
55. What style do you decorate in?
When possible: an eclectic mix of quirky vintage details and bold, theatrical, colorful, Pop Art-influenced modern, with a healthy dash of glam and rock 'n' roll. I have a vintage Queen Anne-style ladies chair that I want to have redone with black-painted wood and zebra print upholstery, which I think summarizes my taste pretty well. ;-)
56. Do you like solid colours in furniture or prints?
Solids definitely have their place, because patterns lose their impact without a contrast... but I am totally a print sort of girl, and I'm not afraid to mix them.
57. Is there a smoke detector in your home?
Yes. With batteries and everything.
58. In case of fire, what are the items you would grab if you only could make one quick trip?
Assuming people and cats are safe (and they aren't items anyway...), I'd grab my laptop, iPod, Kindle, camera, photo albums, a few treasured books. I admit that I'd be tempted to grab jewelry and accessories, but not at the risk of burns and smoke inhalation!
59. Do you know how to work your electrical box?
Er... a little bit, but not much.
60. What temperature in your home is most comfortable to you?
Th house is comfortable up to about 76-77 degrees or so; beyond that, it gets stifling and hard to breathe, especially if it's humid. But whether it's winter or summer, I can't tolerate temps under about 71. I get chilled VERY fast, and then I can't warm up, so... yeah, not energy efficient, but necessary to keep Bluey from actually turning Blue.
Is it a joke or a concept?
- House Meme!